Friday, August 3, 2012

Some people are just Bewitched...in a good way


Before there were babies and boyfriends, there was Bewitched. There were backyard Bewitched plays and barbies, and ballet lessons…. And Bewitched. Bewitched is a television show that aired from 1964 to July 1972. It was and still is my favorite television sitcom of all time!!! Before there was biking and hiking, for me… there was Bewitched. And now there is baking and book signings because of Bewitched. I always wished I could wiggle my nose—like Samantha Stephens from Bewitched. I always wished that I could just clean up the house in an instant, erase every problem I’ve ever had, and have that sort of “magical” unconditional love that Samantha bestowed upon Darrin Stephens, her rather “uptight” advertising executive of a husband.

As I said before marriage and mortgages and carpools and soccer games, and ballet competitions, and multitude of school projects, work obligations, and just everyday obligations….I live a very magical life…..As a popular television critic Rick Bentley put it so many years ago, I lead a very “charmed life”.

Today a group of people from around the cosmos are coming together for the annual Bewitched Fan Fare in Salem, Massachusetts. They aren’t witches or warlocks (as we all have been accused of), and yes, there really was a time in history when people were accused of “being witches and were burned at the stake”. As Samantha put it (or rather the very brilliant writers on one of the most beloved supernatural sitcoms in history stated: “I belong to a minority group.”) We all do-- if you really think about it.

Heaven knows being an expert on a television sitcom that ended close to before I was born-doesn’t actually bring home the “bacon”. But, being passionate about something has “saved my bacon on more than one occasion”.

Whichever (witch ever) way you look at it… Believe in your dreams.

My introduction written on a spiral bound notebook circa 1991ish, now published since 2004 in The Magic of Bewitched Trivia and More book:

Bewitched reminiscent of all great television sitcoms shows us our place in life. It gives us a glimpse of the family we’d like to be a part of, the job we wish to land, the person we’d like to become, the friends we’d like to have, and the dreams we wish to fulfill. Like a fairy godmother’s magic dust, a good sitcom covers reality with fantasy and illusion and provides the modern liberated child in all of us with security in reruns on the tube, (aka, television set).
Bewitched Fanatical Television Show, August 2005.

Venus and Adonis Episode from Bewitched.


Paulette Grilli, Gina, Linda Ferrari, July 1995, Barnes and Noble, Fresno, Ca. 

Cosmos Cotillion Cream Cheese Cookies
16 ounce package of cream cheese
¼ cup of margarine
1 package of lemon cake mix
1 egg
1 tsp. of vanilla extract

          Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix the margarine, egg, and cream cheese into a bowl until well blended. Add vanilla extra and the cake mix. When mixed, roll the cookie mixture into balls and place on a not greased cookie sheet. Bake dough for 8 minutes.

Cosmos Cookies
1/2 cup margarine
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups flour
1/8 teaspoon salt

Galaxy Icing (to complement Cosmos Cookies)
Mix together:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
3-1/2 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Food coloring-optional

Directions: Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Thoroughly mix together margarine, vanilla, sugar, and three drops of food coloring (any color).  Add flour and salt and work until dough can hold together. 
Mold dough by Tablespoonfuls around a few chocolate pieces, nuts, or cherries.  Place cookie dough on a baking sheet approximately 1 inch apart for 10 minutes or until light brown.
Once the cookies are cool, dip tops of cookies into Galaxy Icing. Decorate cookies with colored sugar, sprinkles, candies, or coconut.  Makes 25 cookies.


I’ll Blow You A Kiss In The Wind
(By, Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart & Serena)

Whenever you are tonight
I got a feelin’ that you look out of sight,
So I’m gonna blow you a kiss in the wind.

And when it reaches your lips your lips my dear,
You’re gonna smile and feel me oh so near,
So I’m gonna low you a kiss in the wind.

I’ve been laying here in my bed
The images of pretty thoughts runnin’ through my head
About a guy in my mind I can feel
I can almost touch
Oh, my goodness
I miss you and I want you so much.

Wherever you are tonight
I got a feelin’ hat you look out of sight
So I’m gonna blow you a kiss in the wind.
Yeah, I’m gonna blow you a kiss in the wind.



 Mocha Kiss Chocolate Chip Cake
1 package of Butter Fudge Cake mix
1 small package of instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1 pint of sour cream
¼ cup of chilled strong coffee, such as French or espresso roast
½ cup of oil
8 ounces of chocolate chips     
Directions: Mix all ingredients in a bowl with an electric mixer. Place batter into a  sprayed bunt pan and bake at  350 degrees for forty minutes. Cool and serve. Once cooled, generously dust top of cake with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment