Thursday, January 13, 2022

Bavarian Braised Red Cabbage with Red Wine & Turkey Bacon

 


As a cookbook author, I like exploring the different varieties of food & experiences. I had purchased red cabbage for my annual Christmas Eve homemade egg rolls, so I had leftover cabbage. Oh, what to do with red cabbage? Well, I need purple vegetables and so I took on the challenge instead of find a good tasty recipe,  so I was excited when I found a Bavarian Braised Red Cabbage with Apples and Bacon. I redid the recipe based upon what I had in the refrigerator, I actually had sauerkraut and didn't think of using it, but I would recommend using sauerkraut too if you are a fan.









2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1 medium sized red onion, finely chopped

4-5 strips of turkey bacon, chopped

2 cloves of garlic, finely diced

1 small head of red cabbage, shredded

2 Tablespoons of brown sugar

1/4 cup of red wine

1/4 cup of red wine vinegar

2 teaspoons finely grated orange or tangerine zest

1 teaspoon of orange or tangerine juice

1-2 cinnamon sticks

sea salt and pepper to taste


Directions: In a saucepan over medium heat, heat oil and add onion, stirring with a wooden spoon until onion is softened and next, add garlic, cook Turkey bacon, and add cabbage, wine, red wine vinegar. Also add brown sugar and stir often, then add orange zest and remaining ingredients including cinnamon sticks. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until cabbage is softened, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment