Friday, June 18, 2021

Tips for walking in the heat, take precautions by Gina Meyers

 



I was just scolded by the mailman, "hey, you are walking in the heat, don't you know there is an excessive heat warning going on?" I assured him that I did, that I was almost done with my walk, that I had drank water (held up my water bottle) and then offered him a bottle of water to which he declined, he said, (thank you, I'm good).


So let's take a look at how to protect yourself in excessive heat.

Yes, changing up your routine is important, but if you can stay hydrated, exercise is important too. Sure picking the right time (when it's cooler is always a good idea), sometimes you have to subscribe to Nike's motto, "Just Do It."

If I've learned anything from Covid, which I've learned a lot, life is unpredictable and we must take safety precautions. Our physical, mental, social, emotional health is paramount to us being productive and happy people. 


Gone are the days of walking in the mall as exercise. Gyms now in California are going masks off, which doesn't eliminate the germ(s), it populates them. Pools are open and honestly my community pool experience yesterday left me wondering what happened while everyone was indoors talking amongst themselves?


Always have an action plan. I was a Girl Scout so I learned that you plan. When you have a plan, even if things don't go according to plan you still have a plan of action as a guideline to follow. 

If I waited for perfect conditions to exercise or walk or do anything, I'd never do anything!


Check the temperature before you walk and during the walk. 

Walk under shaded trees.

Take breaks.

Have a fully charged cell phone in case you need to call someone to come pick you up on your walk.


Preferably wear sunscreen and mosquito repellent if walking near water.


On my walk, there are benches every three to four blocks, rest, use them in the excessive heat.

Pick a familiar location with lots of shaded trees.


My usual three mile walk is around the lake, which is a body of water with lots of shaded trees, lots of benches to rest at, and the benches overlook the water, so today's walk provided plenty of shade, and the breeze off the water was refreshing.


Stay hydrated.


Dress appropriately for the heat.

Wear. a hat and sunglasses to reduce glare of the sun and heat on your head.


You can bring a water bottle to spritz yourself with or rose water to spray on your face.


Make flavored ice cubes or flavored water and have a pitcher handy. 


Here are some more ideas.


When you exercise in hot weather, keep these precautions in mind:
  1. Watch the temperature. Pay attention to weather forecasts and heat alerts. ... 
  2. Get acclimated. ... 
  3. Know your fitness level. ... 
  4. Drink plenty of fluids. ... 
  5. Dress appropriately. ... 
  6. Avoid midday sun. ... 
  7. Wear sunscreen. ... 
  8. Have a backup plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment